MK’s Blog

Posted on 03.13.13 in Hip Hop, Music by MK Asante

MUSIC: Ras Kass feat MK Asante and Talib Kweli

Barmageddon – Album Cover

My recording debut: I’m rhyming on the 3rd verse of a track called “Godz in the Hood” by west coast hip hop legend Ras Kass, Bishop Lamont, and one of my all-time favorite emcees, Talib Kweli. I’m honored to make my music debut on such an epic track (produced by Chris Noxx). The song is Track #5 on Ras Kass’ new album, Barmageddon. Other guests on the album range from Too Short to Kendrick Lamar.

Kweli tweeted about my verse:

Here are the lyrics to my verse:

“Godz N the Hood”

Godz N the hood trapped in facades in the hood

Always gettin even cause what’s the odds in the hood?

So we mob so misunderstood we overstand

City of applause clappin like it’s Pakistan

Rosewood to Rosecrans, young bols on they Conan

Freedom or death—not a slogan

Like the “Nature of the Threat” ain’t a slow jam

My Eloheems off that Wet through them Badlands

Black cinematics, so visual

And if it’s Godz N the ghetto this the ritual

Children of the night, candlelight the vigil

Smoke a L with Ellison now we visible

Somethin out of nothin maximize the minimal

Prison Indust turnin Godz to criminals

Forcing us to revise these spirituals

For your mental revivin our pinnacle!

MK, Talib Kweli, and Res at Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami after Idle Warship performance.

MK

15 responses to “MUSIC: Ras Kass feat MK Asante and Talib Kweli”

1. Kurt J says:

Wow MK, this is an amazing track. I love how you ride the beat and the poetry is fire. Can’t wait to hear more from you and to read BUCK!

2. Latoyia says:

I’m amazed at how many things you are able to do at a super high level! KUDOS on this great song … hopefully the first of many?

3. Matt Shay says:

Loved the lyrics and how you took a used rhyming style and put your poetic spin on it. You can definitely tell it’s your debut, but nonetheless you shine on the track being my second favorite behind Talib’s. You definitely have the skills to convert your beautiful wordplayed poetry into song form and I’d suggest trying it, versatility is key, and when you can why not take the advantage? I’d love to see more Hip-Hop from you. I mean you did write a book around it, right?

4. Nice! I love the literature and film references in the lyrics.

5. Sagirah Wheeler says:

The lyrics feel more like a poem. There is great imagery that sheds like to the feelings and actions that go on in the Hood and the reason why they may happen. It was a great verse to a very deep song and just makes you think. Great job!

6. really nice verse. A lot better than most of the garbage playing on radio stations. Got to get mos on one of these tracks.

Lupe, Andre 3k, Mos-Def, Talib, Common

7. Bri_amore says:

Great choice of lyrics…loving the poetic style!!

8. Definitely a hot song. I believe it would do very well in our current hip hop generation

9. Quoyia Rose says:

Great song, the lyrics really stand out to me because this is reality of eveyday life in the hood. Its like you just spoke it through your lyrics, makes me think about earliest era of hip hop when everyne spit about real issues and experiences.

10. Ronita H. says:

Great song with enlightening lyrics…..love the line “Something out of Nothing maximize the minimal”.

11. DomMcK says:

Love the song. Definitely one of my favorite verses on the track. “Prison Indust turnin Godz to criminals.” This definitely spoke to me, and my life right now. #RealMusic

12. Wilton Howard says:

some of the lyrics have something interesting to say

13. creativesilence says:

I know I’m late but this is dope. Great verse.